Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9

5 posts in Xbase++ Last posting was on 2008-07-14 08:03:14.0Z
mike grace Posted on 2008-07-10 15:21:16.0Z
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <b9f6cef815228cab0c01d146359@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: mike grace <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk>
Subject: xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9
Newsgroups: advantage.Xbase++
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Reader 1098.1
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 080709-1, 09/07/2008), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.24.129.66
X-Trace: 10 Jul 2008 09:15:17 -0700, 217.24.129.66
Lines: 10
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!217.24.129.66
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Xbase++:971
Article PK: 1140816

Hi,

If I upgrade my server to ADS9, can my xbase++ client app still talk to it
even though the client dll's are 7?

Regards

Mike


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2008-07-10 19:45:14.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.Xbase++
References: <b9f6cef815228cab0c01d146359@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:45:14 -0600
Lines: 23
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <48766562@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 10 Jul 2008 13:39:14 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Xbase++:972
Article PK: 1140817

It should work fine as long as you don't use some new functionality that the
older client cannot deal with. You can look at the effects of upgrading
section in the help file (online at
http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/webhelp/Advantage9.0/Advantage.htm)
to see if there are any particular issues that might be important.

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D

"mike grace" <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b9f6cef815228cab0c01d146359@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
> Hi,
>
> If I upgrade my server to ADS9, can my xbase++ client app still talk to it
> even though the client dll's are 7?
>
> Regards
>
> Mike
>
>


mike grace Posted on 2008-07-11 09:15:24.0Z
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:15:24 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <b9f6cef8154c8cab1562b2e280d@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: mike grace <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk>
Subject: Re: xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9
Newsgroups: advantage.Xbase++
References: <48766562@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Reader 1098.1
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 080711-0, 11/07/2008), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.24.129.66
X-Trace: 11 Jul 2008 03:09:25 -0700, 217.24.129.66
Lines: 33
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!217.24.129.66
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Xbase++:973
Article PK: 1140819

I am using free DBF tables so I think I may come away unscathed! :-)

Where do I find the upgrade instructions?

It is just a case of uninstall 7, install 9 and put a new licence key in?

Mike

Hello Mark,

> It should work fine as long as you don't use some new functionality
> that the older client cannot deal with. You can look at the effects
> of upgrading section in the help file (online at
> http://devzone.advantagedatabase.com/dz/webhelp/Advantage9.0/Advantage
> .htm) to see if there are any particular issues that might be
> important.
>
> Mark Wilkins
> Advantage R&D
> "mike grace" <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:b9f6cef815228cab0c01d146359@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I upgrade my server to ADS9, can my xbase++ client app still talk
>> to it even though the client dll's are 7?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Mike
>>


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2008-07-11 14:45:53.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.Xbase++
References: <48766562@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <b9f6cef8154c8cab1562b2e280d@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:45:53 -0600
Lines: 23
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <487770b9@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 11 Jul 2008 08:39:53 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Xbase++:974
Article PK: 1140818

Simply uninstalling version 7 and installing the new one should be
sufficient. It might not even be necessary to do the uninstall, but I don't
know that for sure. If you have done any customization of the ansi.chr file
(character collation), you might want to keep your copy of it so you don't
have to repeat that. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything else you
would need to do.

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D

"mike grace" <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk> wrote in message
news:b9f6cef8154c8cab1562b2e280d@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
>I am using free DBF tables so I think I may come away unscathed! :-)
>
> Where do I find the upgrade instructions?
>
> It is just a case of uninstall 7, install 9 and put a new licence key in?
>
> Mike
>


mike grace Posted on 2008-07-14 08:03:14.0Z
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:03:14 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <b9f6cef815968cab3a7952f9a52@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: mike grace <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk>
Subject: Re: xbase++ 1.8 and ADS 9
Newsgroups: advantage.Xbase++
References: <487770b9@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Reader 1098.1
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 080713-0, 13/07/2008), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.24.129.66
X-Trace: 14 Jul 2008 01:57:14 -0700, 217.24.129.66
Lines: 31
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!217.24.129.66
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Xbase++:975
Article PK: 1140820

Thanks Mark.

Regards

Mike

Hello Mark,

> Simply uninstalling version 7 and installing the new one should be
> sufficient. It might not even be necessary to do the uninstall, but I
> don't know that for sure. If you have done any customization of the
> ansi.chr file (character collation), you might want to keep your copy
> of it so you don't have to repeat that. Otherwise, I don't think
> there is anything else you would need to do.
>
> Mark Wilkins
> Advantage R&D
> "mike grace" <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:b9f6cef8154c8cab1562b2e280d@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
>
>> I am using free DBF tables so I think I may come away unscathed! :-)
>>
>> Where do I find the upgrade instructions?
>>
>> It is just a case of uninstall 7, install 9 and put a new licence key
>> in?
>>
>> Mike
>>