Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2012-11-30 11:34:26.0Z
Hank Du Posted on 2012-11-23 20:25:57.0Z
Sender: 33ea.50afd795.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Hank Du
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <50afdbd5.3507.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 23 Nov 2012 12:25:57 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1353702357 172.20.134.41 (23 Nov 2012 12:25:57 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Nov 2012 12:25:57 -0800, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 2
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31525
Article PK: 74415


Hank Du Posted on 2012-11-23 20:28:30.0Z
Sender: 33ea.50afd795.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Hank Du
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <50afdc6e.3539.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <50afdbd5.3507.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 23 Nov 2012 12:28:30 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1353702510 172.20.134.41 (23 Nov 2012 12:28:30 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Nov 2012 12:28:30 -0800, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 5
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31526
Article PK: 74414

There is an interesting discussion @Sybase DBA network on
LinkedIn.

How well do you understand ASE's role in the SAP Database &
Technology road map?


Rob V Posted on 2012-11-23 20:49:31.0Z
From: Rob V <rob@sypron.nl>
Reply-To: rob@sypron.nl
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
References: <50afdbd5.3507.1681692777@sybase.com> <50afdc6e.3539.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <50afdc6e.3539.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <50afe15b@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Nov 2012 12:49:31 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1353703771 172.20.134.152 (23 Nov 2012 12:49:31 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Nov 2012 12:49:31 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 30
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31527
Article PK: 74417


On 23-Nov-2012 21:28, Hank Du wrote:
> There is an interesting discussion @Sybase DBA network on
> LinkedIn.
>
> How well do you understand ASE's role in the SAP Database &
> Technology road map?
>

I don't think the Sybase name will be dropped any time soon, but
everyone is of course free to speculate.

Stay tuned for more news from SAP about product direction.

HTH,

Rob V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Verschoor

Certified Professional DBA for Sybase ASE, IQ, Replication Server

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE"
"The Complete Sybase IQ Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands | Chamber of Commerce 27138666
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Rob V Posted on 2012-11-27 23:01:57.0Z
From: Rob V <rob@sypron.nl>
Reply-To: rob@sypron.nl
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
References: <50afe15b@forums-1-dub> <50afe8b6.38ed.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <50afe8b6.38ed.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <50b54665$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 Nov 2012 15:01:57 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1354057317 172.20.134.152 (27 Nov 2012 15:01:57 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Nov 2012 15:01:57 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 65
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31545
Article PK: 74434

I think the future is good, as ASE will be pushed hard by SAP as a
database for their own SAP applications while at the same time
reinforcing the credibility of ASE for the non-SAP market segment which
is Sybase's classic area.
You have to keep in mind that SAP's marketing message will very strongly
be centered around the in-memory HANA database which is positioned as
SAP's primary innovation platform. This will definitely be a louder
message than promoting Sybase ASE, but there is a lot of room for ASE to
florish.

Some Statements of Direction for ASE and related SAP database products
have just been published at the following URLs. You will see that ASE
will continue to exist as a product in its own right, also for those
customers who have reasons for not using HANA.

http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2776 ASE Position for Sybase customers
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2777 ASE+SRS for SAP customers
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2778 ASE + HANA interoperability
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2779 IQ+HANA SoD
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2780 RTDP SoD

HTH,

Rob V.

On 23-Nov-2012 22:20, Hank Du wrote:
> Rob, how's the future of SAP Sybase ASE?
>
>> On 23-Nov-2012 21:28, Hank Du wrote:
>>> There is an interesting discussion @Sybase DBA network
>>> on LinkedIn.
>>>
>>> How well do you understand ASE's role in the SAP
>>> Database & Technology road map?
>>>
>>
>> I don't think the Sybase name will be dropped any time
>> soon, but everyone is of course free to speculate.
>>
>> Stay tuned for more news from SAP about product direction.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Rob V.
>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>> ------- Rob Verschoor
>>
>> Certified Professional DBA for Sybase ASE, IQ, Replication
>> Server
>>
>> Author of Sybase books (order online at
>> www.sypron.nl/shop): "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase
>> ASE" "The Complete Sybase IQ Quick Reference Guide"
>> "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
>> "The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference
>> Guide"
>>
>> rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl | Twitter:
>> @rob_verschoor Sypron B.V., The Netherlands | Chamber of
>> Commerce 27138666
>> ----------------------------------------------------------
>> -------


Hank Du Posted on 2012-11-28 15:16:59.0Z
Sender: 75a9.50b628ed.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Hank Du
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <50b62aeb.7658.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <50b54665$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 28 Nov 2012 07:16:59 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1354115819 172.20.134.41 (28 Nov 2012 07:16:59 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 28 Nov 2012 07:16:59 -0800, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 86
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31548
Article PK: 74438

Thanks Rob for your time and efforts, excellent stuff.

SAP passed over very strong message from the direction of
ASE+SRS for SAP customers, it will drink Oracle's milkshake
via ASE.

http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2777
Today, SAP Sybase ASE is the preferred transactional
database for SAP Business Suite.
Going forward, ASE is planned to be the strategic
transactional database for running any SAP application or
SAP partner application with best TCO and best support.

ASE is also planned to be tightly integrated with SRS to
provide high business value to SAP users in ways that are
unmatched by other SAP-supported databases.

> I think the future is good, as ASE will be pushed hard by
> SAP as a database for their own SAP applications while at
> the same time reinforcing the credibility of ASE for the
> non-SAP market segment which is Sybase's classic area.
> You have to keep in mind that SAP's marketing message will
> very strongly be centered around the in-memory HANA
> database which is positioned as SAP's primary innovation
> platform. This will definitely be a louder message than
> promoting Sybase ASE, but there is a lot of room for ASE
> to florish.
>
> Some Statements of Direction for ASE and related SAP
> database products have just been published at the
> following URLs. You will see that ASE will continue to
> exist as a product in its own right, also for those
> customers who have reasons for not using HANA.
>
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2776 ASE Position for
> Sybase customers http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2777
> ASE+SRS for SAP customers
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2778 ASE + HANA
> interoperability http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2779
> IQ+HANA SoD http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2780 RTDP SoD
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob V.
>
>
> On 23-Nov-2012 22:20, Hank Du wrote:
> > Rob, how's the future of SAP Sybase ASE?
> >
> >> On 23-Nov-2012 21:28, Hank Du wrote:
> >>> There is an interesting discussion @Sybase DBA network
> >>> on LinkedIn.
> >>>
> >>> How well do you understand ASE's role in the SAP
> >>> Database & Technology road map?
> >>>
> >>
> >> I don't think the Sybase name will be dropped any time
> >> soon, but everyone is of course free to speculate.
> >>
> >> Stay tuned for more news from SAP about product
> direction. >>
> >> HTH,
> >>
> >> Rob V.
> >>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> >> ------- Rob Verschoor >>
> >> Certified Professional DBA for Sybase ASE, IQ,
> Replication >> Server
> >>
> >> Author of Sybase books (order online at
> >> www.sypron.nl/shop): "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase
> >> ASE" "The Complete Sybase IQ Quick Reference Guide"
> >> "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
> >> "The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference
> >> Guide"
> >>
> >> rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl | Twitter:
> >> @rob_verschoor Sypron B.V., The Netherlands | Chamber
> of >> Commerce 27138666
> >>
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> >> -------
>
>


Rob V Posted on 2012-11-30 11:34:26.0Z
From: Rob V <rob@sypron.nl>
Reply-To: rob@sypron.nl
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Will SAP Sybase ASE be rebranded as "SAP ASE" soon?
References: <50afe15b@forums-1-dub> <50afe8b6.38ed.1681692777@sybase.com> <50b54665$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <50b54665$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <50b899c2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 Nov 2012 03:34:26 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1354275266 172.20.134.152 (30 Nov 2012 03:34:26 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Nov 2012 03:34:26 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 38
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:31569
Article PK: 74459

I just found out the URLs have been changed :-(
These documents are now at the following locations:

http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2851: ASE Position for Sybase customers
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2852: ASE+SRS for SAP customers
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2853: ASE + HANA interoperability
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2854: IQ+HANA SoD
http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2855: RTDP SoD


Rob V.

On 28-Nov-2012 00:01, Rob V wrote:
> I think the future is good, as ASE will be pushed hard by SAP as a
> database for their own SAP applications while at the same time
> reinforcing the credibility of ASE for the non-SAP market segment which
> is Sybase's classic area.
> You have to keep in mind that SAP's marketing message will very strongly
> be centered around the in-memory HANA database which is positioned as
> SAP's primary innovation platform. This will definitely be a louder
> message than promoting Sybase ASE, but there is a lot of room for ASE to
> florish.
>
> Some Statements of Direction for ASE and related SAP database products
> have just been published at the following URLs. You will see that ASE
> will continue to exist as a product in its own right, also for those
> customers who have reasons for not using HANA.
>
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2776 ASE Position for Sybase customers
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2777 ASE+SRS for SAP customers
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2778 ASE + HANA interoperability
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2779 IQ+HANA SoD
> http://www.saphana.com/docs/DOC-2780 RTDP SoD
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob V.-------------------------------------------------------