Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Using Ultralite on Android with Mono for Android

4 posts in Ultralite Last posting was on 2012-05-07 15:39:40.0Z
James Lavery Posted on 2012-05-04 09:31:41.0Z
Sender: 401c.4fa39d70.1804289383@sybase.com
From: James Lavery
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Using Ultralite on Android with Mono for Android
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4fa3a1fd.40d5.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 4 May 2012 02:31:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1336123901 172.20.134.41 (4 May 2012 02:31:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2012 02:31:41 -0700, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 21
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12718
Article PK: 1048579

We've got an existing Windows Mobile Ultralite database
application (written in VB6) which we're porting to Android,
with Mono for Android as the target programming environment.

What's the best way of accessing the Ultralite database from
Mono for Android?

As I see it I've got two options:
1. Create Mono for Android bindings to the Ultralite jar
files.
2. Use the .NET Ultralite assemblies.

Is option 2 possible? I fear not, as I don't think the .NET
assemblies will build/run in Mono for Android.

Has anyone tried this already, and/or got pointers as to
which way to go?

Regards,

James


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2012-05-04 16:14:46.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 Thunderbird/12.0.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Using Ultralite on Android with Mono for Android
References: <4fa3a1fd.40d5.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4fa3a1fd.40d5.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4fa40076$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 4 May 2012 09:14:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1336148086 10.22.241.152 (4 May 2012 09:14:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2012 09:14:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 36
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12719
Article PK: 1048529

Hi James,

On 04/05/2012 5:31 AM, James Lavery wrote:
> 2. Use the .NET Ultralite assemblies.
>
> Is option 2 possible? I fear not, as I don't think the .NET
> assemblies will build/run in Mono for Android.

This won't be possible as we don't support Mono .NET environments with
our .NET driver. The issue is the dependency on the underlying native
DLL that we call from our managed code (ulnet##.dll, dbdata##.dll, etc.).

See:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/uldotnet/dotnet-intro-s-5212106.html

---

It's unclear at how successful you might be at 1). We can certainly
build UltraLitej applications for Android (See:
http://iablog.sybase.com/mobiledatabase/2011/05/database-programming-on-android-with-ultralite/
), so if you can link into the ULj jars from Mono and access them in
that environment, this might be a good solution for you.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


James Lavery Posted on 2012-05-05 06:29:18.0Z
Sender: 7109.4fa4c671.1804289383@sybase.com
From: James Lavery
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Using Ultralite on Android with Mono for Android
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4fa4c8be.716a.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4fa40076$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 4 May 2012 23:29:18 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1336199358 172.20.134.41 (4 May 2012 23:29:18 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 May 2012 23:29:18 -0700, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 57
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12720
Article PK: 1048530

Hi Jeff,
Thanks - I thought option 1 wouldn't work for the reasons
you state, thanks for confirming it.

Regarding option 2, I think that's the approach we'll have
to take I think. I believe that binding to the JARs is
better supported in the latest Mono for Android release.

Slightly off topic - is there documentation on how to
initiate a Mobilink synchronisation session on Android?

Regards,
James

> Hi James,
>
> On 04/05/2012 5:31 AM, James Lavery wrote:
> > 2. Use the .NET Ultralite assemblies.
> >
> > Is option 2 possible? I fear not, as I don't think the
> > .NET assemblies will build/run in Mono for Android.
>
> This won't be possible as we don't support Mono .NET
> environments with our .NET driver. The issue is the
> dependency on the underlying native DLL that we call from
> our managed code (ulnet##.dll, dbdata##.dll, etc.).
>
> See:
>
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/uldotnet/dotnet-intro-s-5212106.html
>
> ---
>
> It's unclear at how successful you might be at 1). We can
> certainly build UltraLitej applications for Android (See:
>
http://iablog.sybase.com/mobiledatabase/2011/05/database-programming-on-android-with-ultralite/
> ), so if you can link into the ULj jars from Mono and
> access them in that environment, this might be a good
> solution for you.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
> Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
> http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2012-05-07 15:39:40.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20120428 Thunderbird/12.0.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Using Ultralite on Android with Mono for Android
References: <4fa40076$1@forums-1-dub> <4fa4c8be.716a.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4fa4c8be.716a.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4fa7ecbc@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 May 2012 08:39:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1336405180 10.22.241.152 (7 May 2012 08:39:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 May 2012 08:39:40 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 27
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12721
Article PK: 1048531

Hi James,

On 05/05/2012 2:29 AM, James Lavery wrote:
> Slightly off topic - is there documentation on how to
> initiate a Mobilink synchronisation session on Android?

Yes - using both the documentation and an UltraLitej sample that we include.

See: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/ulj/uj-android-tutorial.html

and:

%SQLANYSAMP12%\UltraLiteJ\Android\CustDB\CustDB.java:498

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/