Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Advantage ODBC use in TestComplete 7

4 posts in ODBC Last posting was on 2009-11-04 23:39:41.0Z
jarman Posted on 2009-11-02 15:24:57.0Z
From: "JarMan" <janick.marquis@telus.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.ODBC
Subject: Advantage ODBC use in TestComplete 7
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:24:57 -0500
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: 142.169.202.4
Message-ID: <4aeef96b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Nov 2009 09:23:23 -0700, 142.169.202.4
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!142.169.202.4
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.ODBC:1843
Article PK: 1133220

Hi

I'm currently trying to establish a ODBC connection to connect my Advantage
database in TestComplete 7, in order to create DBTables stores.

I've tried every suggestion made on the www.connectionstrings.com site, and
I cannot reach a connection. It always responds with a

Data source name not found and no default drvier specified.

At AutomatedQA, they couldn't help me.

I'm wondering if :
a) do i need a data dictionnray file ( .add ) in order to connect to a ODBC
driver ( if so, oops! cause I don't have one )
b) is it even possible to connect Advantage database ( ADS or ALS ) to the
ODBC driver in TestComplete.

I.m using advantage 8.1

Thanks

Janick


Edgar Sherman Posted on 2009-11-02 19:07:38.0Z
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:07:38 -0700
From: Edgar Sherman <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Advantage.ODBC
Subject: Re: Advantage ODBC use in TestComplete 7
References: <4aeef96b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4aeef96b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.34.164
Message-ID: <4aef2d9c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Nov 2009 13:06:04 -0700, 10.24.34.164
Lines: 48
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.34.164
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.ODBC:1844
Article PK: 1133221

I imagine it should work.

Some questions, I assume you installed the ODBC driver. Is this correct?
Then you create an ODBC DSN name? What is that?


Looking at their web page you should be able to follow the example on
this page: http://www.automatedqa.com/products/testcomplete/faqs/files/
About half way down is the section for ODBC, just substitute the DSN
name you created for MyDSBiblio in the example I copied/pasted below.

Set ConnDB = ADO.CreateConnection
ConnDB.ConnectionString = "DSN=MyDSBiblio"
ConnDB.Open

To answer your other question about a Data Dictionary, You do not need
to have a Data Dictionary. In the ODBC setup, don't click the "Data
Dictionary" check box.

Edgar

JarMan wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently trying to establish a ODBC connection to connect my Advantage
> database in TestComplete 7, in order to create DBTables stores.
>
> I've tried every suggestion made on the www.connectionstrings.com site, and
> I cannot reach a connection. It always responds with a
>
> Data source name not found and no default drvier specified.
>
> At AutomatedQA, they couldn't help me.
>
> I'm wondering if :
> a) do i need a data dictionnray file ( .add ) in order to connect to a ODBC
> driver ( if so, oops! cause I don't have one )
> b) is it even possible to connect Advantage database ( ADS or ALS ) to the
> ODBC driver in TestComplete.
>
> I.m using advantage 8.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Janick
>
>
>


jarman Posted on 2009-11-04 20:29:40.0Z
From: "JarMan" <janick.marquis@telus.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.ODBC
References: <4aeef96b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4aef2d9c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Advantage ODBC use in TestComplete 7
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:29:40 -0500
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 142.169.202.4
Message-ID: <4af1e3db@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 4 Nov 2009 14:28:11 -0700, 142.169.202.4
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!142.169.202.4
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.ODBC:1846
Article PK: 1133223

Hi Edgar, thanks for your reply

When you say

> I assume you installed the ODBC driver. Is this correct?

Are you talking about the Advantage ODBC driver? Should it be installed de
facto when installing advantage, or do I need to install it myself?
If it's not the driver you're talking about, then what ODBC driver should I
have installed?

I am currently trying to create an ODBC DSN name, as you suggested. It seems
I have to select a driver, that is not actually there, since I should choose
an Advantage driver...

Thank you again for your help.

Janick

"Edgar Sherman" <no@email.com> a ?crit dans le message de news:
4aef2d9c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...

>I imagine it should work.
>
> Some questions, I assume you installed the ODBC driver. Is this correct?
> Then you create an ODBC DSN name? What is that?
>
>
> Looking at their web page you should be able to follow the example on this
> page: http://www.automatedqa.com/products/testcomplete/faqs/files/
> About half way down is the section for ODBC, just substitute the DSN name
> you created for MyDSBiblio in the example I copied/pasted below.
>
> Set ConnDB = ADO.CreateConnection
> ConnDB.ConnectionString = "DSN=MyDSBiblio"
> ConnDB.Open
>
> To answer your other question about a Data Dictionary, You do not need to
> have a Data Dictionary. In the ODBC setup, don't click the "Data
> Dictionary" check box.
>
> Edgar


Edgar Sherman Posted on 2009-11-04 23:39:41.0Z
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:39:41 -0700
From: Edgar Sherman <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Advantage.ODBC
Subject: Re: Advantage ODBC use in TestComplete 7
References: <4aeef96b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4aef2d9c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4af1e3db@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4af1e3db@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.34.164
Message-ID: <4af21060@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 4 Nov 2009 17:38:08 -0700, 10.24.34.164
Lines: 49
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.34.164
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.ODBC:1847
Article PK: 1133224

No, the ODBC driver is not installed by default. You will need to
install it.

Edgar

JarMan wrote:
> Hi Edgar, thanks for your reply
>
> When you say
>
>> I assume you installed the ODBC driver. Is this correct?
>
> Are you talking about the Advantage ODBC driver? Should it be installed de
> facto when installing advantage, or do I need to install it myself?
> If it's not the driver you're talking about, then what ODBC driver should I
> have installed?
>
> I am currently trying to create an ODBC DSN name, as you suggested. It seems
> I have to select a driver, that is not actually there, since I should choose
> an Advantage driver...
>
> Thank you again for your help.
>
> Janick
>
> "Edgar Sherman" <no@email.com> a ?crit dans le message de news:
> 4aef2d9c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>> I imagine it should work.
>>
>> Some questions, I assume you installed the ODBC driver. Is this correct?
>> Then you create an ODBC DSN name? What is that?
>>
>>
>> Looking at their web page you should be able to follow the example on this
>> page: http://www.automatedqa.com/products/testcomplete/faqs/files/
>> About half way down is the section for ODBC, just substitute the DSN name
>> you created for MyDSBiblio in the example I copied/pasted below.
>>
>> Set ConnDB = ADO.CreateConnection
>> ConnDB.ConnectionString = "DSN=MyDSBiblio"
>> ConnDB.Open
>>
>> To answer your other question about a Data Dictionary, You do not need to
>> have a Data Dictionary. In the ODBC setup, don't click the "Data
>> Dictionary" check box.
>>
>> Edgar
>
>