Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Datatype error with trademark character

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-04-30 13:25:53.0Z
Josh Posted on 2009-04-21 13:40:07.0Z
From: "Josh" <.>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.impact
Subject: Datatype error with trademark character
Lines: 17
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49edccb7$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Apr 2009 06:40:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1240321207 10.22.241.152 (21 Apr 2009 06:40:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Apr 2009 06:40:07 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.impact:2179
Article PK: 230252

We have a field , defined as 'text' that causes a datatype error
qualification failure when the field contains the 0x99(T) character.
Data Type Error - FldObj(OBR_in) data type error
expected 'text' found 0xffffff99(T)
It does not fail on the production server which is 5.3.3.3 Windows 2000.
Concerned because we are testing some new Win2k3 servers for an upgrade to
5.5.3 and this would affect a multitude of interfaces. The obvious option is
to set the field to raw datatype but I would rather determine why this is
happening in case other fields are affected by as yet unknown characters.
This works on Windows 2000 , 5.3.3.3
Fails on Win XP SP3 , 5.3.3.3
Fails on Windows 2003 SP2 , 5.5.3
Has anyone seen anything like this before ?
Thanks,
Josh


Rex Nufer Posted on 2009-04-22 11:56:33.0Z
From: Rex Nufer <rnufer@wakemed.org>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.impact
Subject: Re: Datatype error with trademark character
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:56:33 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 26
Message-ID: <9188bc95-18dc-485d-b9da-326f68a283d7@c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>
References: <49edccb7$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.77.41.249
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1240401393 17411 127.0.0.1 (22 Apr 2009 11:56:33 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:56:33 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com; posting-host=216.77.41.249; posting-account=oPAgwQoAAAC11HcrhleJ5ZAcotaWSDJO
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; GTB5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2; MS-RTC LM 8),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.impact:2180
Article PK: 230254


On Apr 21, 9:40 am, "Josh" <.> wrote:
> We have a field , defined as 'text' that causes a datatype error
> qualification failure when the field contains the 0x99(T) character.
> Data Type Error - FldObj(OBR_in) data type error
> expected 'text' found 0xffffff99(T)
> It does not fail on the production server which is 5.3.3.3 Windows 2000.
> Concerned because we are testing some new Win2k3 servers for an upgrade to
> 5.5.3 and this would affect a multitude of interfaces. The obvious option is
> to set the field to raw datatype but I would rather determine why this is
> happening in case other fields are affected by as yet unknown characters.
> This works on Windows 2000 , 5.3.3.3
> Fails on Win XP SP3 , 5.3.3.3
> Fails on Windows 2003 SP2 , 5.5.3
> Has anyone seen anything like this before ?
> Thanks,
> Josh

You say this is 0x99? As in a hex 99? This value is not in the ascii
range. A capital 'T'
is a hex 54. Where is the value coming from? Is it in a test
transaction? If so, it's
possible you have a transaction with bad data in it. An embedded char
that shouldn't
be there.


Josh Posted on 2009-04-22 13:17:06.0Z
Sender: 109b.49ec9d52.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Josh
Newsgroups: sybase.public.impact
Subject: Re: Datatype error with trademark character
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <49ef18d2.4bed.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <9188bc95-18dc-485d-b9da-326f68a283d7@c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 22 Apr 2009 06:17:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1240406226 10.22.241.41 (22 Apr 2009 06:17:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Apr 2009 06:17:06 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 32
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.impact:2181
Article PK: 230256

0x99 in hex is the trademark character which displayed as a
T in my post , it looks like a very small 'TM'. I realize it
may not be in the normal text range but am wondering why it
passes as text on Win2k but not on XP or Win2k3.
Perhaps there is a system setting ?
Thanks

> On Apr 21, 9:40 am, "Josh" <.> wrote:
> > We have a field , defined as 'text' that causes a
> > datatype error qualification failure when the field
> > contains the 0x99(T) character. Data Type Error -
> > FldObj(OBR_in) data type error expected 'text' found
> > 0xffffff99(T) It does not fail on the production server
> > which is 5.3.3.3 Windows 2000. Concerned because we are
> > testing some new Win2k3 servers for an upgrade to 5.5.3
> and this would affect a multitude of interfaces. The
> > obvious option is to set the field to raw datatype but I
> > would rather determine why this is happening in case
> > other fields are affected by as yet unknown characters.
> > This works on Windows 2000 , 5.3.3.3 Fails on Win XP SP3
> > , 5.3.3.3 Fails on Windows 2003 SP2 , 5.5.3
> > Has anyone seen anything like this before ?
> > Thanks,
> > Josh
>
> You say this is 0x99? As in a hex 99? This value is not
> in the ascii range. A capital 'T'
> is a hex 54. Where is the value coming from? Is it in a
> test transaction? If so, it's
> possible you have a transaction with bad data in it. An
> embedded char that shouldn't
> be there.


Rex Nufer Posted on 2009-04-22 14:07:49.0Z
From: Rex Nufer <rnufer@wakemed.org>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.impact
Subject: Re: Datatype error with trademark character
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:07:49 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 45
Message-ID: <235d9837-110a-42f2-b248-2540ad5cb4ca@k38g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
References: <9188bc95-18dc-485d-b9da-326f68a283d7@c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com> <49ef18d2.4bed.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.77.41.249
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1240409269 503 127.0.0.1 (22 Apr 2009 14:07:49 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:07:49 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: k38g2000yqh.googlegroups.com; posting-host=216.77.41.249; posting-account=oPAgwQoAAAC11HcrhleJ5ZAcotaWSDJO
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; GTB5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.2; MS-RTC LM 8),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!k38g2000yqh.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.impact:2182
Article PK: 230255


On Apr 22, 9:17 am, Josh wrote:
> 0x99 in hex is the trademark character which displayed as a
> T in my post , it looks like a very small 'TM'. I realize it
> may not be in the normal text range but am wondering why it
> passes as text on Win2k but not on XP or Win2k3.
> Perhaps there is a system setting ?
> Thanks
>
>
>
> > On Apr 21, 9:40 am, "Josh" <.> wrote:
> > > We have a field , defined as 'text' that causes a
> > > datatype error qualification failure when the field
> > > contains the 0x99(T) character. Data Type Error -
> > > FldObj(OBR_in) data type error expected 'text' found
> > > 0xffffff99(T) It does not fail on the production server
> > > which is 5.3.3.3 Windows 2000. Concerned because we are
> > > testing some new Win2k3 servers for an upgrade to 5.5.3
> > and this would affect a multitude of interfaces. The
> > > obvious option is to set the field to raw datatype but I
> > > would rather determine why this is happening in case
> > > other fields are affected by as yet unknown characters.
> > > This works on Windows 2000 , 5.3.3.3 Fails on Win XP SP3
> > > , 5.3.3.3 Fails on Windows 2003 SP2 , 5.5.3
> > > Has anyone seen anything like this before ?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Josh
>
> > You say this is 0x99?  As in a hex 99?  This value is not
> > in the ascii range.  A capital 'T'
> > is a hex 54.  Where is the value coming from?  Is it in a
> > test transaction?  If so, it's
> > possible you have a transaction with bad data in it.  An
> > embedded char that shouldn't
> > be there.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I can't answer your question about a system setting or why
it works in one version of the OS but not the other. But I can
tell you we had this problem with other chars like the degree
char or the value 1/2 when passed as 1 char. None of these
chars are in the ascii range and therfore will not qual as
'text'. Like you said in your post, I think the only way around
it is to use the raw setting. Good luck.


Josh Posted on 2009-04-30 13:25:53.0Z
Sender: 17b2.49f5b619.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Josh
Newsgroups: sybase.public.impact
Subject: Re: Datatype error with trademark character
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <49f9a6e1.383.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <235d9837-110a-42f2-b248-2540ad5cb4ca@k38g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Apr 2009 06:25:53 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1241097953 10.22.241.41 (30 Apr 2009 06:25:53 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Apr 2009 06:25:53 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 2
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.impact:2183
Article PK: 230258

FYI , I discovered that this does not affect the server and
only occurs on the client.