Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address ?

5 posts in Internet Server Last posting was on 2007-09-30 01:04:05.0Z
AbeeLabs Systems inc. Posted on 2007-09-27 14:18:50.0Z
From: "AbeeLabs Systems inc." <tech@abeelabs.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Internet_Server
Subject: Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address ?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:18:50 -0400
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
NNTP-Posting-Host: 205.151.202.130
Message-ID: <46fbbb29@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 27 Sep 2007 08:16:09 -0700, 205.151.202.130
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!205.151.202.130
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Internet_Server:726
Article PK: 1120988

Hi,

ADS Server version 8.10.0.15
ARC32 version : 8.10.0.18

I'm trying to configure my ADS server to be able to connect through Internet
using the built-in AIS in ADS.

My server is listening to multiple private IP addresses that are routed by
our Firewall.

Take this example : One of our Public IP address is 205.xxx.xxx.131 wich is
routed to thsi internal IP address 192.xxx.xxx.131.

For the moment, we didn't change the IP Port for ADS to listed to, so I
presume it's listening on port 6262. Am I right ?

I opened TCP and UDP ports 6262 on my firewall. I created a server
publication entry to redirect the public IP address to the private IP
address along with the ports. This works well for other communication
softwares like PCAnywhere and VNC but fails to work with AIS.

I created a DataDictionary with only a few tables and I'm trying to connect
using the default adssys user but always recieve the following error message
:

Error 7078 : The advantage Database Server cannot authenticate the user.
Make sure the user name and password are correct. axServerConnect.

I can connect to my DataDictionary when using the REMOTE connection type. So
I know thet the username and password are correct.

Here's my connection path when trying to connect using the Internet type :
\\205.xxx.xxx.131:6262\F:\Test\Test.add

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Stephan


Edgar Sherman Posted on 2007-09-27 14:52:01.0Z
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:52:01 -0600
From: Edgar Sherman <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Windows/20070728)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Advantage.Internet_Server
Subject: Re: Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address ?
References: <46fbbb29@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
In-Reply-To: <46fbbb29@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.34.133
Message-ID: <46fbc25b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 27 Sep 2007 08:46:51 -0700, 10.24.34.133
Lines: 73
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.34.133
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Internet_Server:727
Article PK: 1120989

Stephan,

There are a couple of things I see here.

1) The "Remote" port by default is 6262, however the "AIS" port is not
enabled by default. To enable the port open the Advantage Configuration
Utility and change the "Internet Port" from the default 0 to another
number (i.e. 2001). Don't set it to 6262!

2: Make sure the Dictionary has been enabled for Internet Access.
Connect through ARC, Right Click on DD Name and choose Properties.
Check the "Security" Tab and enable Internet Access.

3: Make sure your user in the Dictionary has been enabled for Internet
Access. For ADSSYS Right click the user to enable Internet Access, for
other users double click the user and check the box "Enable Internet Access"

4: You will need to fix your connection path (possibly). If you don't
have a specific share named "F:" then you will want to change it to the
default windows share "F$". Also not I changed the PORT in the address
\\205.xxx.xxx.131:2001\F:\Test\Test.add

5: By default ADS uses UDP to communicate. Make sure your firewall
router rules include UDP, or change your communication option in the
application or ads.ini to TCP

Edgar Sherman

AbeeLabs Systems inc. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ADS Server version 8.10.0.15
> ARC32 version : 8.10.0.18
>
> I'm trying to configure my ADS server to be able to connect through Internet
> using the built-in AIS in ADS.
>
> My server is listening to multiple private IP addresses that are routed by
> our Firewall.
>
> Take this example : One of our Public IP address is 205.xxx.xxx.131 wich is
> routed to thsi internal IP address 192.xxx.xxx.131.
>
> For the moment, we didn't change the IP Port for ADS to listed to, so I
> presume it's listening on port 6262. Am I right ?
>
> I opened TCP and UDP ports 6262 on my firewall. I created a server
> publication entry to redirect the public IP address to the private IP
> address along with the ports. This works well for other communication
> softwares like PCAnywhere and VNC but fails to work with AIS.
>
> I created a DataDictionary with only a few tables and I'm trying to connect
> using the default adssys user but always recieve the following error message
> :
>
> Error 7078 : The advantage Database Server cannot authenticate the user.
> Make sure the user name and password are correct. axServerConnect.
>
> I can connect to my DataDictionary when using the REMOTE connection type. So
> I know thet the username and password are correct.
>
> Here's my connection path when trying to connect using the Internet type :
> \\205.xxx.xxx.131:6262\F:\Test\Test.add
>
> What am I doing wrong ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stephan
>
>
>


Ian Branch Posted on 2007-09-29 08:54:11.0Z
From: "Ian Branch" <branch@sitathome.net>
Subject: Re: Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Internet_Server
References: <46fbbb29@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <46fbc25b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:54:11 +1000
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.18.1.8
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 218.215.156.214
Message-ID: <46fe1184@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 29 Sep 2007 02:49:08 -0700, 218.215.156.214
Lines: 27
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!218.215.156.214
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Internet_Server:729
Article PK: 1120990

Hi Edgar,

I wonder if I could pick you prains on this one?

I am trying to emulate an Internet connection on my PC, Win XP Pro.

I have set the Port to 2000, the databasse is Internet enabled and AdsSys is
also Internet enabled in the database.

I am now trying to connect to the DD using ARC. All this on the same machine.

I have set the Server type to Internet, Communication type to tcp/ip where
applicable but am unsure what to put in the connection path.

The DD resides in d:\application\data

What should I put in the Connection path for this? I'm guess it should start
something like...

\\127.0.0.1:2000\ but it is after that I'm not sure.

Can you assist/advise?

Regards 7 TIA,

Ian


Ian Branch Posted on 2007-09-30 01:04:05.0Z
From: "Ian Branch" <branch@sitathome.net>
Subject: Re: Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Internet_Server
References: <46fe1184@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <6c56a92232e6d8c9d067cbf5133a@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:04:05 +1000
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.18.1.8
NNTP-Posting-Host: 218.215.156.214
Message-ID: <46fef4d6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 29 Sep 2007 18:59:02 -0700, 218.215.156.214
Lines: 73
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!218.215.156.214
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Internet_Server:731
Article PK: 1120992


Rodd Graham wrote:

> Hello Ian,
>
> > I wonder if I could pick you prains on this one?
> >
> > I am trying to emulate an Internet connection on my PC, Win XP Pro.
> >
> > I have set the Port to 2000, the databasse is Internet enabled and
> > AdsSys is also Internet enabled in the database.
> >
> > I am now trying to connect to the DD using ARC. All this on the same
> > machine.
> >
> > I have set the Server type to Internet, Communication type to tcp/ip
> > where applicable but am unsure what to put in the connection path.
> >
> > The DD resides in d:\application\data
> >
> > What should I put in the Connection path for this? I'm guess it
> > should start something like...
> >
> > \\127.0.0.1:2000\ but it is after that I'm not sure.
> >
> > Can you assist/advise?
>
> The remainder of the connection path is the same as a remote connection.
>
> To switch from Remote to AIS connection, you only need switch the port number.
>
> Example: \\Server:'AISPort#'\Share\Path...\DBName.ADD
>
> However, when you use an AIS, you are freqently outside of the host domain
> such that you must also change to a DNS or IP address resolution for
> '\\Server'.
>
> Example: \\Server.'PublicDNSName'.com:'AISPort#'\Share\Path...\DBName.ADD
>
> You can always use client side ads.ini configuration to create aliases that
> represent some or all of the connection path. In ADS v8.x, you can configure
> server side aliases which map the '\Share\' portion of the connection path to
> a server side folder. I recommend using server side aliases since they
> eliminate the posibility of exposing your underlying database files via a
> windows share.
>
> Finally, if you use universally resolvable connection path, set the 'internet
> port' in ADS.INI, and set the ADS_SERVER_TYPE to 6 (or 7), your client app
> will try a remote connection with automatic fallback to AIS. Using 7 will
> allow an automatic third tier fallback to ADS local server which is good for
> taking an application mobile on a disconnected laptop.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rodd Graham, Consultant
> Graham Automation Systems, LLC

HI Rodd,

I'm new to this mode so I ask patience.

IIUYC, if I use \\127.0.0.1:2000\d:\application\data\dbname.add in ARC as the
connection path to establish a new connection to an existing data dictionary
then I should achieve connectivity to the DD?

I have tried this but get an error 7078, cannot authenticate user but I am
only using AdsSys.

Regards & TIA,

Ian

--


AbeeLabs Systems inc. Posted on 2007-09-27 15:19:11.0Z
From: "AbeeLabs Systems inc." <tech@abeelabs.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.Internet_Server
References: <46fbbb29@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <46fbc25b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Do I have to configure ADS to listen to a certain IP address ?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:19:11 -0400
Lines: 88
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
NNTP-Posting-Host: 205.151.202.130
Message-ID: <46fbc950@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 27 Sep 2007 09:16:32 -0700, 205.151.202.130
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!205.151.202.130
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Internet_Server:728
Article PK: 1120991

Dear Edgar,

Thanks for helping me sorting all this out.

I did what you suggested and it works now.

Your help is very appreciated.

Regards,

Stephan

"Edgar Sherman" <no@email.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
46fbc25b@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...

> Stephan,
>
> There are a couple of things I see here.
>
> 1) The "Remote" port by default is 6262, however the "AIS" port is not
> enabled by default. To enable the port open the Advantage Configuration
> Utility and change the "Internet Port" from the default 0 to another
> number (i.e. 2001). Don't set it to 6262!
>
> 2: Make sure the Dictionary has been enabled for Internet Access. Connect
> through ARC, Right Click on DD Name and choose Properties. Check the
> "Security" Tab and enable Internet Access.
>
> 3: Make sure your user in the Dictionary has been enabled for Internet
> Access. For ADSSYS Right click the user to enable Internet Access, for
> other users double click the user and check the box "Enable Internet
> Access"
>
> 4: You will need to fix your connection path (possibly). If you don't
> have a specific share named "F:" then you will want to change it to the
> default windows share "F$". Also not I changed the PORT in the address
> \\205.xxx.xxx.131:2001\F:\Test\Test.add
>
> 5: By default ADS uses UDP to communicate. Make sure your firewall
> router rules include UDP, or change your communication option in the
> application or ads.ini to TCP
>
> Edgar Sherman
>
>
> AbeeLabs Systems inc. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ADS Server version 8.10.0.15
>> ARC32 version : 8.10.0.18
>>
>> I'm trying to configure my ADS server to be able to connect through
>> Internet using the built-in AIS in ADS.
>>
>> My server is listening to multiple private IP addresses that are routed
>> by our Firewall.
>>
>> Take this example : One of our Public IP address is 205.xxx.xxx.131 wich
>> is routed to thsi internal IP address 192.xxx.xxx.131.
>>
>> For the moment, we didn't change the IP Port for ADS to listed to, so I
>> presume it's listening on port 6262. Am I right ?
>>
>> I opened TCP and UDP ports 6262 on my firewall. I created a server
>> publication entry to redirect the public IP address to the private IP
>> address along with the ports. This works well for other communication
>> softwares like PCAnywhere and VNC but fails to work with AIS.
>>
>> I created a DataDictionary with only a few tables and I'm trying to
>> connect using the default adssys user but always recieve the following
>> error message :
>>
>> Error 7078 : The advantage Database Server cannot authenticate the user.
>> Make sure the user name and password are correct. axServerConnect.
>>
>> I can connect to my DataDictionary when using the REMOTE connection type.
>> So I know thet the username and password are correct.
>>
>> Here's my connection path when trying to connect using the Internet type
>> : \\205.xxx.xxx.131:6262\F:\Test\Test.add
>>
>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Stephan
>>
>>