Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013

13 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2013-03-14 23:04:21.0Z
Bruce Armstrong Posted on 2013-03-12 17:45:33.0Z
User-Agent: NewsTap/4.0.1 (iPad)
From: Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 12 Mar 2013 09:45:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363110333 172.20.134.152 (12 Mar 2013 09:45:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Mar 2013 09:45:33 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 17
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249900
Article PK: 1308306

The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
Community Network.

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D

Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.

'Don't Panic'
Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


LAS14 Posted on 2013-03-13 16:15:30.0Z
From: "LAS14" <laurels14@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
Lines: 1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="UTF-8"; reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Importance: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3555.308
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V15.4.3555.308
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Mar 2013 08:15:30 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363191330 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 08:15:30 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 08:15:30 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249915
Article PK: 1308334

I began using the scn.sap.com environment a few weeks ago. I've posted 3 or
4 messages, got replies, etc. But today, whenever I attempt to post a
message I get this error:

"Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a
mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you
here."

I'm still logged in. Can see my profile data. Can read messages. How come
I'm now persona non grata??? :-(
And where would I get help after March 28???? :-)

"Bruce Armstrong" wrote in message
news:2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com...

The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
Community Network.

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D

Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.

'Don't Panic'
Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


Bruce Armstrong Posted on 2013-03-13 17:00:39.0Z
User-Agent: NewsTap/4.0.1 (iPad)
From: Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <203232519384886652.999280NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 13 Mar 2013 09:00:39 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363194039 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 09:00:39 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 09:00:39 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 41
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249919
Article PK: 1308335

There was a notice posted on the site about 5 hours ago indicating that
"Content Moderation was in effect" because of a large amount of spam
hitting the system.

Those forums are the place to go now. I've been using them since TechEd
last year and this is the first time I've seen something like that happen.

"LAS14" <laurels14@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I began using the scn.sap.com environment a few weeks ago. I've posted 3
> or 4 messages, got replies, etc. But today, whenever I attempt to post a
> message I get this error:
>
> "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a
> mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here."
>
> I'm still logged in. Can see my profile data. Can read messages. How
> come I'm now persona non grata??? :-(
> And where would I get help after March 28???? :-)
>
> "Bruce Armstrong" wrote in message
> news:2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com...
>
> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
> Community Network.
>
> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>
> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>
> 'Don't Panic'
> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


Chris Pollach Posted on 2013-03-13 17:16:42.0Z
From: Chris Pollach <cpollach@travel-net.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130307 Thunderbird/17.0.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5140b47a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Mar 2013 09:16:42 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363195002 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 09:16:42 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 09:16:42 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 60
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249922
Article PK: 1308341

Hi LAS;

Some days it takes me 5-10 minutes just to log in. Other days it just
kicks me out or is just terribly slow to respond to any browser request
(the norm these days)! :-(

The SCN system is also very poorly designed in facilitating complex
searching features like we have for the NNG. IMHO - SAP would be better
to wait in forcing PB developers to use their SCN system and have a look
at a much better web system like iAnyWhere uses ...
http://sqlanywhere-forum.sybase.com

However, I am not holding my breath on the latter. ;-)

--

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Vice President: ISUG-TECH
Blog: http://chrispollach.blogspot.com
SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
PBDJ: http://chrispollach.sys-con.com
TKD: http://www.syeoh.com

On 3/13/2013 12:15 PM, LAS14 wrote:
> I began using the scn.sap.com environment a few weeks ago. I've posted
> 3 or 4 messages, got replies, etc. But today, whenever I attempt to
> post a message I get this error:
>
> "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a
> mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed
> you here."
>
> I'm still logged in. Can see my profile data. Can read messages. How
> come I'm now persona non grata??? :-(
> And where would I get help after March 28???? :-)
>
> "Bruce Armstrong" wrote in message
> news:2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com...
>
>
> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
> Community Network.
>
> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>
>
> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>
> 'Don't Panic'
> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>


LAS14 Posted on 2013-03-14 13:47:48.0Z
From: "LAS14" <laurels14@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
Lines: 1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="utf-8"; reply-type=response
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
Importance: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Live Mail 15.4.3555.308
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V15.4.3555.308
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5141d504$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Mar 2013 05:47:48 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363268868 172.20.134.152 (14 Mar 2013 05:47:48 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Mar 2013 05:47:48 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249939
Article PK: 1308362

Last night I discovered that all three of my attempts to post a message that
got the "unauthorized" error were, in fact, successful, although it took
about 9 hours for them to show up.

"LAS14" wrote in message news:5140a622$1@forums-1-dub...

I began using the scn.sap.com environment a few weeks ago. I've posted 3 or
4 messages, got replies, etc. But today, whenever I attempt to post a
message I get this error:

"Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a
mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you
here."

I'm still logged in. Can see my profile data. Can read messages. How come
I'm now persona non grata??? :-(
And where would I get help after March 28???? :-)

"Bruce Armstrong" wrote in message
news:2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com...

The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
Community Network.

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D

Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.

'Don't Panic'
Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


Chris Pollach Posted on 2013-03-14 17:18:45.0Z
From: Chris Pollach <cpollach@travel-net.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130307 Thunderbird/17.0.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140a622$1@forums-1-dub> <5141d504$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <5141d504$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <51420675$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Mar 2013 09:18:45 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363281525 172.20.134.152 (14 Mar 2013 09:18:45 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Mar 2013 09:18:45 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 48
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249946
Article PK: 1308381

As they say in Canada during the winter .... "it can be like pouring
molasses in February! :-(

On 3/14/2013 9:47 AM, LAS14 wrote:
> Last night I discovered that all three of my attempts to post a message
> that got the "unauthorized" error were, in fact, successful, although it
> took about 9 hours for them to show up.
>
> "LAS14" wrote in message news:5140a622$1@forums-1-dub...
>
> I began using the scn.sap.com environment a few weeks ago. I've posted
> 3 or
> 4 messages, got replies, etc. But today, whenever I attempt to post a
> message I get this error:
>
> "Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a
> mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you
> here."
>
> I'm still logged in. Can see my profile data. Can read messages. How
> come
> I'm now persona non grata??? :-(
> And where would I get help after March 28???? :-)
>
> "Bruce Armstrong" wrote in message
> news:2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com...
>
>
> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
> Community Network.
>
> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>
>
> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>
> 'Don't Panic'
> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>


Marco Posted on 2013-03-13 16:34:55.0Z
From: Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130307 Thunderbird/17.0.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Mar 2013 08:34:55 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363192495 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 08:34:55 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 08:34:55 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 21
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249916
Article PK: 1308337

Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark


Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:

> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
> Community Network.
>
> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>
> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>
> 'Don't Panic'
> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>


Bruce Armstrong Posted on 2013-03-13 17:04:16.0Z
User-Agent: NewsTap/4.0.1 (iPad)
From: Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 13 Mar 2013 09:04:16 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363194256 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 09:04:16 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 09:04:16 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 38
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249920
Article PK: 1308340

I'm not aware that it's possible to use these forums via mail. Were you
thinking of the ISUG SIG forums?

There is a Jive mobile client that can be used to access the site as a
native app rather than a web browser.

The SCN site is actually scanned by Google and indexed as normal web pages.
These newsgroups aren't They are a PITA to search. I'd expect to see an
increase in casual users as a result of information from the site appearing
in Google search results.

Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it> wrote:
> Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
> A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
> I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy
> a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark
>
>
> Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:
>> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
>> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
>> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
>> Community Network.
>>
>> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>>
>> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
>> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
>> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
>> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>>
>> 'Don't Panic'
>> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>>

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


Brad Mettee <bmettee Posted on 2013-03-13 20:24:00.0Z
From: Brad Mettee <bmettee@.RemoveMe.pchotshots.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130107 Thunderbird/17.0.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub> <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5140e060@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Mar 2013 12:24:00 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363206240 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 12:24:00 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 12:24:00 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 42
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249925
Article PK: 1308343

A PITA to search?

Have you ever tried this?
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en

Word and phrase search is available, and you limit the search to the
group with *powerbuilder* in the groups list.

Works quite well for me.

On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
> The SCN site is actually scanned by Google and indexed as normal web pages.
> These newsgroups aren't They are a PITA to search. I'd expect to see an
> increase in casual users as a result of information from the site appearing
> in Google search results.
>
> Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it> wrote:
>> Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
>> A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
>> I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy
>> a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark
>>
>>
>> Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:
>>> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
>>> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
>>> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
>>> Community Network.
>>>
>>> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>>>
>>> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
>>> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
>>> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
>>> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>>>
>>> 'Don't Panic'
>>> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>>>
>
>


Brad Mettee <bmettee Posted on 2013-03-13 20:34:42.0Z
From: Brad Mettee <bmettee@.RemoveMe.pchotshots.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130107 Thunderbird/17.0.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub> <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140e060@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <5140e060@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5140e2e2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Mar 2013 12:34:42 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363206882 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 12:34:42 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 12:34:42 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 57
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249926
Article PK: 1308344

Nevermind me - foot is firmly in mouth

Just found the "google groups -> sybase link broken" message from Dec
2011. Hadn't realized my search results were stale when using google to
find stuff. I use Thunderbird for groups most of the time, and don't
search too often.

On 3/13/2013 4:24 PM, Brad Mettee wrote:
> A PITA to search?
>
> Have you ever tried this?
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en
>
> Word and phrase search is available, and you limit the search to the
> group with *powerbuilder* in the groups list.
>
> Works quite well for me.
>
>
> On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>> The SCN site is actually scanned by Google and indexed as normal web
>> pages.
>> These newsgroups aren't They are a PITA to search. I'd expect to
>> see an
>> increase in casual users as a result of information from the site
>> appearing
>> in Google search results.
>>
>> Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it> wrote:
>>> Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
>>> A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
>>> I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy
>>> a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark
>>>
>>>
>>> Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:
>>>> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
>>>> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
>>>> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
>>>> Community Network.
>>>>
>>>> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using
>>>> as soon
>>>> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
>>>> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and
>>>> stored
>>>> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>>>>
>>>> 'Don't Panic'
>>>> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>>>>
>>
>>


Bruce Armstrong Posted on 2013-03-13 21:37:32.0Z
User-Agent: NewsTap/4.0.1 (iPad)
From: Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <176790287384903090.121779NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub> <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140e060@forums-1-dub> <5140e2e2$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 13 Mar 2013 13:37:32 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363210652 172.20.134.152 (13 Mar 2013 13:37:32 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Mar 2013 13:37:32 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 74
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249927
Article PK: 1308346

Not a problem. I used to use Google Groups all the time and used to
recommend it to others.

But that was part of the problem. Somebody needed to know to search
groups. Goggle is starting to include discussion groups in regular news
feeds, but then we have the link broken issue.

You do a search on Google now though and you should see results popping up
from SCN. One of the reasons I like it. Perhaps we'll get a better
ranking on the Tiobe index as a result
(http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html). i
don't think PowerBuilder is even in the top 100 any more.

Brad Mettee <bmettee@.RemoveMe.pchotshots.com> wrote:
> Nevermind me - foot is firmly in mouth
>
> Just found the "google groups -> sybase link broken" message from Dec
> 2011. Hadn't realized my search results were stale when using google to
> find stuff. I use Thunderbird for groups most of the time, and don't search too often.
>
>
> On 3/13/2013 4:24 PM, Brad Mettee wrote:
>> A PITA to search?
>>
>> Have you ever tried this?
>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en
>>
>> Word and phrase search is available, and you limit the search to the
>> group with *powerbuilder* in the groups list.
>>
>> Works quite well for me.
>>
>>
>> On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>>> The SCN site is actually scanned by Google and indexed as normal web
>>> pages.
>>> These newsgroups aren't They are a PITA to search. I'd expect to
>>> see an
>>> increase in casual users as a result of information from the site
>>> appearing
>>> in Google search results.
>>>
>>> Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it> wrote:
>>>> Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
>>>> A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
>>>> I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy
>>>> a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:
>>>>> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
>>>>> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
>>>>> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
>>>>> Community Network.
>>>>>
>>>>> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using
>>>>> as soon
>>>>> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
>>>>> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and
>>>>> stored
>>>>> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>>>>>
>>>>> 'Don't Panic'
>>>>> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>>>>>
>>>
>>>

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb


Jonathan Baker [SAP] Posted on 2013-03-14 14:08:34.0Z
From: "Jonathan Baker [SAP]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130216 Thunderbird/17.0.3
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Subject: Re: R: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140aaaf$1@forums-1-dub> <1153277979384886864.611574NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com> <5140e060@forums-1-dub> <5140e2e2$1@forums-1-dub> <176790287384903090.121779NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <176790287384903090.121779NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <5141d9e2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Mar 2013 06:08:34 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363270114 172.20.134.152 (14 Mar 2013 06:08:34 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Mar 2013 06:08:34 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 90
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249940
Article PK: 1308367

One of the benefits of the new web archive is that the NG's are now
searchable via Google. If you want to be specific, just type in "site:
nntp-archive.sybase.com" before your search query.

At last check, Google has indexed 314,000 of the root posts. That's
about 82%, so it should have a good (if not quite perfect) record of
almost everything.

For example, I just searched for "Powerbuilder" using a site specific
search, and it returned a post made less than 2 days ago.


Cheers,
Jonathan

On 3/13/13 5:37 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
> Not a problem. I used to use Google Groups all the time and used to
> recommend it to others.
>
> But that was part of the problem. Somebody needed to know to search
> groups. Goggle is starting to include discussion groups in regular news
> feeds, but then we have the link broken issue.
>
> You do a search on Google now though and you should see results popping up
> from SCN. One of the reasons I like it. Perhaps we'll get a better
> ranking on the Tiobe index as a result
> (http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html). i
> don't think PowerBuilder is even in the top 100 any more.
>
> Brad Mettee <bmettee@.RemoveMe.pchotshots.com> wrote:
>> Nevermind me - foot is firmly in mouth
>>
>> Just found the "google groups -> sybase link broken" message from Dec
>> 2011. Hadn't realized my search results were stale when using google to
>> find stuff. I use Thunderbird for groups most of the time, and don't search too often.
>>
>>
>> On 3/13/2013 4:24 PM, Brad Mettee wrote:
>>> A PITA to search?
>>>
>>> Have you ever tried this?
>>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&q=&hl=en
>>>
>>> Word and phrase search is available, and you limit the search to the
>>> group with *powerbuilder* in the groups list.
>>>
>>> Works quite well for me.
>>>
>>>
>>> On 3/13/2013 1:04 PM, Bruce Armstrong wrote:
>>>> The SCN site is actually scanned by Google and indexed as normal web
>>>> pages.
>>>> These newsgroups aren't They are a PITA to search. I'd expect to
>>>> see an
>>>> increase in casual users as a result of information from the site
>>>> appearing
>>>> in Google search results.
>>>>
>>>> Marco <mconca@kubesistemi.it> wrote:
>>>>> Will it be possible to use it via mail like we do with this newsgroup?
>>>>> A website would make reading and posting a lot more time consuming.
>>>>> I fear it might loose too many active and casual users, it would destroy
>>>>> a many-years-old community and a Sybase landmark
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Bruce Armstrong ha scritto:
>>>>>> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
>>>>>> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
>>>>>> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
>>>>>> Community Network.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using
>>>>>> as soon
>>>>>> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
>>>>>> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and
>>>>>> stored
>>>>>> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 'Don't Panic'
>>>>>> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>
>


Bruce Armstrong Posted on 2013-03-14 23:04:21.0Z
User-Agent: NewsTap/4.0.1 (iPad)
From: Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.general
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Message-ID: <1868976061384994914.347632NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Sybase newsgroups EOL - March 28. 2013
References: <2023875375384802962.426061NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong-yahoo.com@forums.sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 14 Mar 2013 15:04:21 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1363302261 172.20.134.152 (14 Mar 2013 15:04:21 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Mar 2013 15:04:21 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 24
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.general:249950
Article PK: 1308391

Apparently the URL got mangled in my original post. It should be:

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content?filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype[thread]

Bruce Armstrong <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The online user community functionality provided by these newsgroups is
> being transitioned to more modern and accessible technology through the
> forums available in the PowerBuilder Developer Center within the SAP
> Community Network.
>
> http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/powerbuilder/content/filterID=content~objecttype~objecttype%5Bthread%5D
>
> Those forums are available now, and we encourage you to start using as soon
> as possible. These newgroups will be closing down to new postings on
> March 28, 2013. All the posts in these forums will be copied and stored
> in an archive at http://nntp-archive.sybase.com.
>
> 'Don't Panic'
> Bruce Armstrong - TeamSybase

--
PowerBuilder Developer Center Forums - http://goo.gl/VXpIb